Saturday, March 30, 2024

Re: GsoC Proposal Feedback

Hi Hamza,

sorry for the late reply/not giving you feedback earlier. I've been travelling in the last week(s) and it slipped my attention.

Your proposal seems to already go a lot into details how to include the AFF3CT library in GNU Radio in terms of pointers etc.
It seems to me that your plan would be to fully replace existing implementations with AFF3CT. I would recommend to either add them
in a GNU Radio OOT first or add them side-by-side to existing Encoders/Decoders, as overall we might opt to make AFF3CT an optional
dependency and also it would aid in benchmarking (not only for you, but also other community members).
With this idea on the ideas' list we also meant to give some opportunity to find other error correcting libraries, e.g. https://github.com/xdsopl/LDPC
which show good performance and may be directly integrated in GNU Radio.

In terms of timeline I see a small discrepancy, since you say that you will spend 30 hours each week, but you can "only" dedicate 3-4 hours per day.
If you would work 7 days a week (which I do not recommend), will work out at 21-28 hours a week.
For the scheduling of the different tasks, I feel that in the beginning you left yourself a little bit of room, but then you put the Delivery 1 with moving LDPC,TCP,Polar in a timeframe of two weeks, which seems to be quite challenging to do in this short time. I guess in case you finish earlier with the repetition en/decoders you can already start on the blocks mentioned in this delivery.

In terms of reporting, in the past our students wrote short but concise weekly blog posts which gave a good turnaround time for feedback from the community. I would recommend
the same to you. You can publish blog posts directly on our webpage, which is created with the static website generator "hugo" here: https://github.com/gnuradio/hugo-website

Some small comments on the form:
- You have a lot of typos/transposition errors in your proposal, I recommend running it through some error checking
- It is spelled "GNU Radio" - not gnu-radio, or Gnu radio.

Cheers,
Andrej


> On 28. Mar 2024, at 17:50, Hamza Mohammed <hamza.mohammed.hasan@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
> Please take a look at my proposal for the project "Forward Error Correction", that I attached below. Do you think the way I am planning to integrate the AFF3CT library in the gr-fec package is efficient ? I think it is because my implementation will not change the overall FEC API.
> <FEC_gnuradio_proposal.pdf>

No comments:

Post a Comment