Saturday, April 20, 2024

Re: Passing Tags or Additional Port Data to Change Parameters of Downstream Blocks

Hi Matt,

++props for Ron's example of PMT tagging in C++  :-)

Quick tip: as a person with strong/current Python skills and C++ expertise that's 20 years out-of-date, I've found that I can get "best results per unit time" by reading the C++ code/docs but coding my blocks and snippets in efficiently-written Python.  

I've found that well-written Python doesn't introduce bottlenecks, and I can apply the time saved to high-level organization of flowgraphs that optimizes throughput and latency. 

Getting acceptable performance in Python requires being comfortable with loop-free vector coding in numpy, as well as judicious use of itertools, functools, and other "straight-to-C" mechanisms.
A nice feature to be aware of is that GR sidesteps the Python GIL at a high level.  This provides a level of efficiency unavailable in ordinary Python environments.  

Hope this helps.

- W

Matt wrote:

> Thank you Ron! This does look like exactly what I need.  ...
(and earlier)
> data called out in the spec. Implementing this in the c++ code is 
> where I'm running into issues and where I'm looking for help/advice.
....
> I am fairly new to GnuRadio and C++ these modifications seem difficult 
> to me, hoping someone with more experience in both could point me in 
> the right direction.

----------
On Apr 19, 2024, at 08:13, Matt Clemons <mattclems11@gmail.com> wrote:

Thank you Ron!
...
Matt

On Thu, Apr 18, 2024 at 6:33 PM Ron Economos <w6rz@comcast.net> wrote:
Matt,

Take a look at ...
https://github.com/drmpeg/gr-dvbs2

It implements exactly what you're talking about to achieve VCM (Variable
Coding and Modulation).
...

https://github.com/drmpeg/gr-dvbs2/blob/master/lib/bbheader_bb_impl.cc#L496

Then it's sent downstream and all the subsequent blocks use it for
configuration (and also pass it downstream to the next block).

Ron

On 4/18/24 09:39, Matt Clemons wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've been using the dtv/dvbt blocks in GnuRadio Companion to decode 

No comments:

Post a Comment